Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Day 4: Out with the girls in Redmond

Today there was little sightseeing but much cultural exchange.

D invited me to a birthday lunch (Thai, and very tasty too) with a group of women whose children go to the same elementary school. I can do children-talk, having been there (you don't forget...), but there wasn't much of it. The conversation ranged from triathlons and almost drowning in open water (personal experiences of several of them) to the meaning of... well, you don't want to know O_O. We did have a shared rant about testing in schools, which is as rife in WA as in UK, and as popular. They talked of entertaining and other social activities; I like the idea of shared cooking days. They discussed their various jobs and projects and the small businesses which a couple of them have started. It was most enlightening as well as amusing, and they were so friendly. The birthday girl is actually from London, married to a Cypriot, and most of them have travelled abroad. It was both like and unlike my preconceptions (gleaned from literature and of course tv/films).

Later I met J to go to a Chinese restaurant in Bellevue. We had a brief unguided tour in getting there, which was interesting for me as I learned about road patterns and signage and naming schemes. The restaurant was very good indeed. We were welcomed with enthusiasm and "Happy New Year" (they are starting celebrations early and will probably continue into February!). The tea was poured as we sat down and dumplings were offered, as something to eat while we waited for the meals to be cooked. They were delicious, as was the rest of the meal. The portions were massive and doggybags are expected: no point for me, going back to a warm hotel room at 10pm. I did briefly consider saving some for breakfast, but I'm not a breakfast type and tomorrow morning I have to attempt to cram everything back into the suitcase and catch a taxi to Tacoma.

I wish I were staying a bit longer.

No comments: