Friday, March 13, 2009

Bernay and buildings

In England, and car-lagged. I was sorry to leave (it was 21deg C yesterday, and there is much that needs doing in the garden). I shan't be there for discussing where to fit the skylights and build the shower-room walls, but I trust Ben and Camille from Casa Nova to pick good places.

There's one part of the route north which has a whole series of roundabouts with right-turns to Bernay. This time I drove through Bernay instead of around it. What a surprise! Most towns in France were severely re-built around the eighteenth century and there's little of the medieval buildings left: it seems to be concentrated here, in street after street of timber-framed houses. There are many houses in the Dutch-barn/Flemish shape, too. I was so busy goggling at architecture, I got thoroughly lost; no great problem as it meant I could go round again via a different route through the town. I didn't have my camera with me, so we shall have to be content with piccies on the interweb. Ooh, there's even a bernayphoto.blogspot.com! Unfortunately short on visible architecture, but I like the Goat Riding a Bicycle.

No comments: