Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Alas, poor shrew, I knew him

I was sitting on the steps last Thursday when something ran behind me. It looked like a mouse, but a few seconds later one of the terrace-geckos ran the same route and I thought I must have seen the other one... and added fur... um... cracking up... Later one of the visitors saw a large shrew in the long grass. Aha!

That evening we had a barbecue and invited neighbours. The people next door have a young fox-terrier bitch with good manners but the inevitable love of hunting: she was quite excited at finding some small beastie in the grass. Next morning the shrew was on the stone tiles, shivering and clearly not able to move easily: it had a bite-mark on its back. It hobbled slowly off into the grass. Yesterday $current_visitor found it, dead.

No comments: