Friday, April 09, 2010

East to Dresden

The route east from Hofheim goes via Frankfurt's maze of autobahns, so for a while I saw only roadsigns and cars.

On through Germany, and past a terrain of steeply rounded hills, many of them with a castle on top, glaring across the valley at its neighbours. Lunch was in a roadside restaurant where I'd intended to have just a snack but was pounced on by a lovely friendly counter-staffperson who turned waiter and happily explained what was in in each dish. Besides, the food smelled wonderful and was surprisingly cheap.

I didn't find a wheelchair-accessible hotel on the road near Dresden, and stayed in the car. It was cold. Early in the morning I drove on and soon saw a restaurant next to a wheelchair-friendly motel: if only I'd known! Breakfast there was 4.80 euros for two half-somethings of bread with a choice of toppings, a boiled egg, orange juice and coffee - a bargain.

No comments: