Sunday, June 06, 2010

La Daugaterie again

It was so hot on Saturday. In the morning I went to watch boats in the sailing festival at Port Maubert, but didn't last long there. On the way home over the marshes I passed the crêperie at Daugaterie and decided to stop for a cool drink. In the end I stayed for lunch, because their new 10-euro menu includes the drink, a galette (Breton, not Charentaise), and three scoops of ice-cream. How could I resist?

Last year was their first, and it appears to have been successful enough to allow Monsieur to leave his office job, so this year the restaurant is open every evening and most lunchtimes. He has spent the winter completing renovations and making alterations: notably the addition of a ramp and a new toilet, though he hasn't finished the path to the toilet yet. He assured me that it will soon have a properly Chariot-friendly entrance.

To ensure that guests are heard on arrival, there is also a new doorman. Monsieur recognised me and greeted me in English, and I replied in French. It seems more natural to me now.

The menu is much the same as last year, and excellent value. Look at the size of the galette!

There's a garden with trees, and a play area for children, too. I sat outside on the terrace under the gentle shade, though all the other diners had the sense to go inside. I looked in, but forgot to take a photo of the lovely stone-walled dining-room.

We had some brief unscheduled entertainment when a queen hornet popped in for a visit. Monsieur chased it round the garden with a large container of insecticidal spray, to which it appeared impervious.

Then I drove slowly home in the sleepy afternoon heat, watching for herons and other wildlife on the marsh.

No comments: