Monday, June 09, 2008

Quarter-mile of brocante

This was my second experience of a brocante: bigger and more impressive than the first.

It wasn't easy to find, being right down at the port in Mortagne. The stalls were stunning: attic-loads of stuff you wouldn't see in a carboot sale in England any more, not since Antiques Roadshow and its cheaper cousins. Some of it was not to my taste, but fascinating all the same. There was one porcelain... thing (it may have been for flowers) with large handles, embellished with porcelain blue roses and big green leaves. The stuff of nightmares.

One big stall was mostly linen, old but very good quality and monogrammed. I found sheets to use as throws for the manky armchairs, and teatowels. I carefully did not look at the black cloaks on the same stall, or the embroidered chemises, but was tempted by a mob cap; however it wasn't big enough to hold all my hair.

And then I saw a VHS tape of Asterix and Cleopatre, which was irresistible at 2 euros. Almost bought the player for 15 euros but was stopped by realising I'd need to buy a tv as well.

No comments: