Friday, July 04, 2008

Big fluffy water-heaters

My French is fairly good though rusty, which means that I can follow most of what is said but have to search for vocabulary when I want to say something (or have to be creative with circumventions). Sometimes, though, I'm reminded of the Brit on the plane from Dinard, who had lived in France for years but whose French was still basic except for one area - "I speak excellent Building", he said.

Yesterday the plumber came to bring the bill for mending the loo, and to look at the Casa Nova plan for upstairs and in particular where the shower-room will be. He had some trouble finding the pipes up there, and came down to ask where the cumulus is. Cumulus? er...

Well, after opening a few doors he found it[0]. If I'd had the laptop on I could have found the word and shown him where it is easily, but my dictionary failed yet again. As I told him, the only cumulus I know is in the sky.

[0] water (immersion) heater

No comments: