Friday, July 24, 2009

Shopping should be done in closed stores with a troupe of minions

Last week I should have gone to Bordeaux to buy lights and mirrors and shelves and cupboards and window-blinds and a mattress, and instead I fell down the steps and mashed my left hand (it's still swollen and stiff but usable for most things). The website claims that Thursday evening is the quietest time, so yesterday I was very careful about steps, and had no excuse.

They call that quiet? It was packed full of families with small children, even after 8pm. The children were well-behaved, but there was such a lot of them, so navigating was difficult. Most of the stock appeared to be soft toys and miniature furniture, and cute as tiny rockingchairs may be, they weren't what I was looking for. I couldn't find staff in most of the areas; in the mattress section I met another customer with the same problem, so we teamed up to tour and test the mattresses and read the information. As the "closing soon" announcement came on, I still hadn't finished, but oh joy, there was a group of assistants! Three of them in a corner chatting to each other, tsk. All three happily took over finding the boxes and getting them through checkout and to the car.

The worst thing was the incessant loud repetitive muzak. I couldn't think, and all I wanted to do was get away from it. I bought the essential mattress and some of the other things on the list, but not everything. I'll have to find another source for the rest, because I'm not going back!

No comments: