Friday, October 16, 2009

Apples, shiny apples

Between the D137 and the D2, near St Genis de Saintonge, there's a big apple orchard which has a kind of Open Farm for a few weeks. Last year I missed it; this year I made it just in time, today being the last day. I needn't have worried, because they've started up a farm shop which will be open until June.

I bought Elstar, Belchard, Melrose, and another of which I don't know the name. The apples are sold by the kilo, at 70 centimes a kilo unless you buy more than 50 kilos. Cheap! I intended to get just a couple of kilos, but was seduced by pretty varieties I'd never heard of. The person doing the selling first asked what kind of apples I like, and then recommended some with descriptions of their scent and flavour. I wondered briefly if one was supposed to take a bite, chew, and spit it out.

Ginette and Denis came round to turn off the water to the garden in case the pipes freeze as they did last year. I gave them some of the apples, and Ginette insisted on knowing how much she owes me!

No comments: