Friday, February 12, 2010

I love windmills

For the second time this month I drove south on the A12 through Lowestoft. I was previously unimpressed by Lowestoft. I thought it had a rather nasty feel and a very unfortunate appearance. Last week it surprised me; this week I checked carefully... and yes, it was still pretty.

Some of the improvement may be because it looks more open: at some points you can see the sea, and Lowestoft's beaches have always been among the best in the area. Quite a lot was owing to two sights in particular. As you come into the town there is a cleanly gleaming white lighthouse looking like a huge cake decoration. Soon after that, as the road sweeps past the first sight of the waves, there is an even bigger mobile sculpture, moving gracefully and majestically above the barely-noticeable squat stolidity of the port buildings. Beautiful.

No comments: