Sunday, April 17, 2011

Brocante the first

The summer season of events has begun. There are brocantes everywhere, and festivals and open days.

Today is St Dizant du Gua's big brocante. I went down there on Broomstick, with only a small amount of cash, as a precaution. The precaution was wise. So many stalls full of such interesting things! Books, clothes, furniture, crockery, pans, antiques, ornaments, tools, bikes (and motorbikes): the contents of cupboards and garages and barns and attics. Plus plants, fruit, vegetables, and cakes. I bought a mirror (four people joined in working out how to transport it on Broomstick), a copper jug as a present for Ginette, and some vegetables; I just looked at everything else. Broomstick was, as usual, admired and I had to explain how it works and where I got it and how much it cost. Maybe there's an import market.

I shall miss the annual flower festival in St Genis and the Sailing Festival at Port Maubert, because I'm singing on the Ile d'Oleron late this afternoon.

No comments: