Sunday, November 05, 2006

Gig report

The National Railway Museum is a one of the best settings for a gig.

After a hard afternoon's rehearsal with guitarist Scardy (including learning a new song) I was too tired to worry overmuch about singing solo and being on first when the audience was sober and cold.

My programme had started out as trobairitz (ref to a concert of trobairitz music attended last year in York) and acquired pieces about trains - mainly suggested by my gentle readers, thanks :)
I was a bit unsure about the Beatriz de Dia "A chantar" in the context of the rest of the programme (being followed by Monosect and then Modulate!), and it was a culture-shock for the valiant Scardy, but it got a good response and questions from some of the audience afterwards ("Where did you find it?" How do you get hold of that music?"). Perhaps we can encourage a revival ;)

Le train qui siffle - Richard Anthony. I love it. Again a new thing for Scardy, though not as weird a style.

Trains - Andrew Eldritch. This had been requested and I hadn't been able to get a recording, but Scardy had it and persuaded me to try. I was most unsure (it's quite growly and the timing of some of the lines needed a lot of practice) but I was so glad he talked me into doing it. It was hugely improved by the last-minute addition of DJ Echo on drums. One audience comment: "I liked your version better than the original". !!

Night mail - Auden. Read, not sung, over a lovely train-y guitar riff.

Finally the nightmare of Green and Grey. It seemed ok sung along to, but... listening to the CD on decent kit showed that voice and backing diverged muchly. um. Oh well, I thought, Stuart and a few others will sing along and I won't have to worry. But Leila banned him from singing! And it was too slow for him anyway :(

Then I could relax and listen/bounce to Martin and Geoff doing their thing in Monosect and vice versa in Modulate. Good luck wishes to Geoff for his big gig today.

Matt Howden's Sieben was superb. Uses of the violin reminded me of Horses Brawl.

No comments: