Sunday, June 08, 2008

First visit to Bordeaux

I took the pretty (coastal) route to Bordeaux, partly to explore and partly because toll-roads are a right pain when alone in a RHD car. Got lost a few times and saw a sign for Blaye so made a small detour there. At Blaye there's a car-ferry across the river but I didn't think it would help, so after looking around the town I headed inland via Cars.

What an amazing little town Cars is. I love the slightly decrepit appearance of many small French towns - the unpainted naturalness, the absence of fences - but the smart ones have an appeal too. Cars is sparkly clean and very smart, but the first thing one notices is the church spire. Shiny. Like a polished snake, covered in tiles of red, gold, green, russet in a viper-pattern.

On the way into the north side of Bordeaux is an elegant and very new tram-terminal. The trams are gorgeous, and as they provide a park-and-ride facility I plan to take a day there and ride around.

I'd intended to locate the train station then go sight-seeing, but after 5 drives round and past the roadworks I was in need of rest and sustenance, and it seemed easier to park at the station and stay there. So I pretended to be a taxi (the sign said no entry except to taxis and buses, but there were other cars parked in there).

Collected sister with some difficulty (big place, Gare St Jean) and we decided on the quick way home, by motorway.

No comments: