Monday, September 29, 2008

Fruits of the surrounding fields

Someone told me that grapes grown for wine aren't good to eat. They were wrong - at least for the grapes grown here. The harvest has begun, and Neighbour brought some for me to try. Black are for the wine, green for the cognac. The black aren't as sweet as usual because there wasn't enough rain at the right time, so they are tangy but delicious. The green are perhaps too sweet, but delicate.

There's something special about eating the things grown around where you live: much more pleasant than eating a handful of soil, too (spot the allusions). I looked at the maize (grown for oil), but I think it really isn't very edible. And while I was out on Saturday the sunflower fields were emptied, so I didn't get my paws on any seeds.

I've just had a lunch of local goats' cheese, bread baked 2 miles away, and grapes from the fields across the road. Oh happy.

No comments: