Monday, February 21, 2011

Fortunately it's not raining in my heart

It is bucketing down: indoors (or at least, in the atelier), as well as out. There is now a very large damp area. I doubt that M. Babin will be arriving this afternoon as promised, because no way could he check the roof in this rain.

There was a break of a few hours in the rainfall this morning. I was busy tidying the kitchen and preparing the downstairs rooms for $Friend-cleaner who will be here on Wednesday[0] when I noticed Denis in the garden, wielding secateurs. I'd pruned the rosebushes a few days ago, but not to his standard of ferocity. While chatting, I mentioned the dead car battery, and he put down the secateurs and brought round his battery-charger. It wasn't plugged in for very long before the waterfall re-commenced, and as it was by then l'Heure, the engine got rather wet before he could return to unfasten the charger and put down the bonnet. I considered going out there and doing it myself, but every time I look at the bonnet I re-live that few minutes of having my fingers trapped... ugh. Middle finger is still sore and a slightly odd shape.

The rain has stopped again, and Denis is chopping wood in the little house. I worry about him doing so much - he is over 80 - but Ginette assures me he needs things to do since he sold his vinefield, and she's glad of some peace to get on with her own work.

[0] I know it's an old joke about cleaning the house before the cleaner comes, but really I'm not cleaning: it has to be tidy, that's all!

[UPDATE] M. Babin did turn up. He thinks it's not the roof, but the guttering. Hope so, because that will be much easier to fix.
Still raining.

No comments: