Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Birds 'n' roses

At last the grass has been cut and the bushes and trees are visible again.

The last few days have been clear-skied hot, but when I go out into the garden the birds who have colonised the terrace complain, so I feel very inhibited about gardening and I don't sit on the terrace at all. The chicks have almost outgrown the nest; the racket they make when parent-bird arrives with food can be heard all over the house, even with windows closed. They're jostling each other, and I worry that one will get pushed out. Still, they'll be flying soon, and then I get my garden back!

Yesterday evening, after the gardeners left, I trimmed the roses on the wall. One of the ramblers had been over-enthusiastic and one branch was sprawled on the path, so I cut it off and brought in the flowers. The kitchen table is covered in pale pink-and-cream roses and buds, sitting in a collection of jars and glasses.

No comments: