Thursday, June 18, 2009

Prospects of money and Fascinating Aida

On Tuesday there was an HSBC presentation on HSBC Premier International, with added "cocktails". It was quite a long drive, but I thought it might be worth while. Fortunately, it was.

The location was the restaurant of a very beautiful and plush golf course north of Royan. It's an area not much to my taste: although there is a small protected forest which is lovely, most of it is rather full of villas with manicured lawns and far too much traffic.

The talk itself was more interesting than expected, introducing a new scheme in which one can move money between HSBC accounts in different countries, online, instantly, and with a guaranteed best exchange rate. For me the drawback is that the UK account would have to be HSBC not First Direct, and I can't leave my beloved FD. I shall have to open yet another account.

The networking was excellent. Almost all the Anglos there live around Royan and belong to the Royan branch of AFA. I'd not considered joining because of the distance, but having talked to them, I changed my mind. There are musical people! Some of them are very ethusiastic about getting Fascinating Aida here, and one of them puts on plays and shows and would like to help with the organising. Another suggested that I ask HSBC to sponsor a gig; the bank manager was amenable to the idea of having FA entertain at one of these functions. He needs material for a presentation to head office to get the sponsorship.

And the "cocktails" turned out to be champagne (they quickly found orange juice for me) and huge plates of food. I did my best, and so did several others, but there was a lot left over.

No comments: