Thursday, June 11, 2009

Egyptology and personal tweets

I made it to the library this week. Going out is a little more complicated now, since I gave up in the battle against the big untrained poo-y dogs and put the fence up across the driveway, which means exits and entrances have to be planned for when I can walk. Although I'd had intentions of returning most of the books and only keeping the excellent interview biography of Christiane Desroches Noblecourt, the librarian had chosen a selection for me... so I still have a heap of books.

The Christiane Desroches Noblecourt book, though fascinating, is a slow read because I keep going to look up things. She's a French egyptologist, born in 1913 and there for many of the exciting discoveries, as well as being one of the first women to study and to achieve careers in the field. Her accounts are making me wonder why we were taught such silly fables at school, especially as the more accurate stories are also far more interesting. Shades of QI.

And now a totally unrelated thought: why do people use twitter to send a message to an individual or to carry on a conversation? It's like eating soup with a fork.

No comments: