Saturday, May 30, 2009

A hitchhiker's guide to Vitrezay

On the way home from St Dizant, there was a hitch-hiker standing forlornly at the Port Maubert crossroads. I smiled apologetically as I turned left to Grande Motte, and then turned back. There was no other traffic at this time of day, and at least I could offer a lift to Mirambeau or somewhere else on the main road. It turned out that she was heading for a ferry across to the Médoc to meet her family, and she showed me on the map - Vitrezay near St Bonnet which is less than 10 miles away. Another new place! I've seen the car-ferry at Blaye but didn't realise there is a ferry for foot-passengers from Vitrezay.

In the 15 minutes' drive we had a good chat, which was excellent for the French practice, and she was so grateful; but really, I couldn't bear to think of anyone waiting and burning by the side of the empty road.

Vitrezay is like so many of the little creeks, with the assorted boats and a few cars, but it looks more polished and affluent than Port Maubert. It's the starting-point for the estuary cruises: future visitors take note.

No comments: