Saturday, May 30, 2009

The library

Last Tuesday the librarian phoned to say they would be unexpectedly closed that afternoon because the Bibliobus was coming round to replenish their stocks, but would be open on Saturday morning. It's a very tiny library, and all done by hand, but even so I was startled to get a phone call rather than turning up to find a notice on the door. She asked if there was anything I'd like them to get in - as usual I couldn't remember the word for SF but I suspect there wouldn't be any. I'm exploring some things I wouldn't otherwise, and the historical novels (providing they are well-researched and cite their sources, of course) have been keeping me happy. I read French rather more slowly than English!

This morning I turned up to find that she'd picked out a few books for me. Some of them... well, she's got the science part, but the French equivalent of Quantum Mechanics for Dummies didn't really appeal, though I did take a book about the wisdom of physicists, written in a jokey colloquial style which should be amusing and more useful for the vocabulary than my preferred historical and literary French. However, there were enough interesting books that I've had to leave some for next time. On the way out I noticed an illustrated Dictionnaire des communes de Charente-Maritime which is proving a fascinating source of information and new places to see.

I would really like to lie on the terrace to read, but yesterday we realised that we made the motherbird wary of visiting the nest in the corner and the chicks were clearly very hungry.

Excuse me, there's a baby gecko knocking at the window.

No comments: