Saturday, August 02, 2008

Support your local superette

The owners of the general shop in the town are friendly, helpful, and - it being a very small town - struggling. The shop is spacious, beautifully-presented, clean and polished... and the merchandise is carefully spread across the shelves. We know what that means: not enough trade to keep a lot of stock.

To boost trade, they organise and host events in the parking area. This summer they're doing shellfish suppers on Fridays and Saturdays (shame I can't eat shellfish because they're from the estuary here and apparently very good, but there are a few other things available).

I'm working on Friday evenings so I planned to go down there today, to be sociable and support my local wossnames. Then, in the late afternoon, the sky fell on our heads. When it rains here it really does come down like a waterfall. I looked sadly out of the window and got bread-n-cheese with some of friendly-neighbour's surplus tomatoes, which she brought round yesterday. Just as I finished supper, the rain stopped, the clouds moved inland, and the sun came out. Too late to get dressed and go out now, even if I weren't full.

Bother.

No comments: