Sunday, May 18, 2008

First full day in the house

Good thing I got up early, because the Man From The EDF arrived about 10:30 instead of 14:00. I didn't hear him knock, but he opened the door and called. He changed the box for a new one and asked if I wanted to stay on heures creuses: for simplicity I said yes, though I have no clue if it will actually be cheaper with my usage patterns.

A little while later, la factrice (postie) knocked too. I wonder why people don't use the bell? It's a proper bell, rather like Owl's; perhaps I should have a notice about knocking and ringing? [A A Milne reference]. She was very friendly and said I should ask her if I need to know anything. I should have asked where to find her.

It was warm but not hot, perfect for a short ride out on Broomstick to explore the hamlet. To the right, direction St Ciers du Taillon, there are wheatfields. I wonder if there's a working mill here. The road which looks on the map to be the most direct route to St Dizant turns into a grass lane just beyond two houses under construction, and it swoops down into the valley. Discretion won, and I left it for a day when I'm not alone.

I didn't really speak to anyone. There was an old man out for a walk, and we exchanged bonjours, but I couldn't really follow his accent. I called bonjour to a woman hanging out washing in her garden, and waved to two people in fields, and that was it.

On arrival back at the drive, Broomstick died briefly with the old electrical fault which was supposed to be fixed (I paid £50 for that job!). This makes me nervous about using it, because if I went to the village via footpaths I could get stranded, and via the road it's almost 3 miles; besides, there isn't much traffic and I could wait a long time for help.

The ADSL isn't on yet, but I have a book to read.

No comments: