Thursday, May 22, 2008

Gone are the daisies, but not for long

It was warm last night - not hot, just snug and comfortable - but I'd had two coffees while talking to the cafe-owner, and being the first coffee in a week it actually stopped me sleeping. I finally passed out in the pre-dawn as the birds started up, and had less than 3 hours before the alarm went off.

Neighbour-across-the-road came over this morning with his petrol mower and removed 20cm of grass, daisies, and assorted meadow flowers. I prefer the meadow look, but it quickly becomes impassable jungle. While he was doing it the sky clouded and rain fell, so by next week it will be ankle-deep again. He wouldn't take any money, not even for the petrol, but he says I need a jardinier and he'll ask his father who looks after the gardens on the other side of the hamlet.

I can follow what's said pretty well (barring heavy rural accent) but my mind is still going blank when I talk, so he clearly thought I don't understand much: therefore the way to communicate is to shout louder. It's amusing to be on the other end of what one thinks of as Speaking English To The Natives.

And after half an hour of rain the sun came out :)

Later there was a shock (no pun intended) - email from the electrician to say she had phoned EDF and discovered that the supply is 3-phase and needs changing, which will cost 135 euros.

No comments: