Sunday, May 18, 2008

Friday - settling in

Rain! A waterfall of rain. You can hear the grass growing. It rains really heavily then stops and the sun comes out; and then rains a little while later. Timing the dashes to empty the car is important.

Really need to put up insect screens. There are bees and there are BEES.

Curious. Everyone I've asked has said there are no local buses, so why is there a bus parked against the back wall of the barn?

Into the town to see what is there. The mairie is very grand for a small town, though they apologised for not having wheelchair access yet. The secretary photocopied a map for me, so I can see where the roads are just around here.

Whenever I've asked about shops people have said there is nothing much in St Dizant, and the supermarket is in Mirambeau (7-8 miles away), where there is a weekly market too. The disregarded shop in St Dizant is actually a small supermarket and post office. It has 'net, too! I considered trying the restaurant to see if they do just coffee, but it started to rain again.

Went home and ate rather a lot of local strawberries, which taste like alpines but are big.

Using the phone failed, and I don't know why but I'm too sleepy to do any more searching of French websites.

No comments: