Wednesday, May 21, 2008

It's been a week now!

A photo of the 3-piece suite offered by the removal man showed a brown cottage-style in mediocre nick, for which he wants 280 euros. I declined. Websearching for furniture was rather depressing: everything seems so expensive, or in the case of secondhand stuff needs to be collected. Ikea turns out to be probably the cheapest option, although they want 89 euros + tax for delivery. I decided to wait and see if anything else turns up. Looking for microwave oven was a shock, too, on comparing with UK prices.

Eventually I went out to the Super U to buy dustpan, can-opener, and trowel. Turning right at the top of the road instead of left, I wandered past a place which sells strawberries and a bit further on two grand new houses in the style of Roman villas, before finding the road to Mirambeau. I got the trowel first, and forgot the other things because of the distraction of a microwave on sale, and a very cheap cafetiere, and a kettle which was kind of middling price, all of which I acquired. No worries now if the gaz runs out :).

On the way back I went to the cafe in St Dizant centre. It has wifi! Another thing to tell the estate agent. Madame cafe-owner gave me several phone numbers for musical groups and events. There's a big building called the Foyer Rural which houses local organisations (I think it is a kind of community and arts centre with offices).

This evening was warm after a hot day. I did some gardening and met some neighbours; asked if they knew anyone who would cut the grass and yes! Neighbour-across-the-road will do it.

And finally a warning: do not put worcester sauce on salad in mistake for balsamic vinegar.

No comments: