Sunday, May 18, 2008

Sunday bargains at the brocante

The phone worked!

Eventually I checked email and found a reply to my forum post about needing a houseload of stuff - there was a brocante in Boisredon, only 15 miles away. Today.

Swift exit, and with only one tiny unplanned detour I found Boisredon. There was no problem finding the brocante: it filled the village. A brocante, it seems, is what carbootsales used to be before professional traders took over. This was three streets of trestle tables and a mad range of stuff (including old agricultural implements), plus a marquee-cafe... with live music!

Now, for 54 euros, I have 4 dining chairs, some glasses, plates, bowls, and cups and saucers (they weren't necessary but it is a set). I paid another 5 euros for a coffee table and then wondered how to get it in the car - no problem, said the vendor, he'll deliver it. I said isn't it a bit far? but he seemed sure so we'll see.

Going home it began to rain hard, so I abandoned the idea of looking for a cafe. However, I noticed a sign for a restaurant called La Locomotive ;)

It's sunny again and I've been taking photos of the kitchen. A lizard just ran up to the kitchen door.

No comments: