Thursday, May 29, 2008

Of neighbours and washing machine and screwdrivers

I've met some proper local neighbours: an older couple who speak a little fast and in a mix of French and Charentais. They live in the house with a lemon-tree in a big tub by the front door (I have tub, must get lemon tree). They are also very friendly; and they keep chickens and rabbits and grow vegetables. We had a brief chat about the advantages of vegetables over flowers: she doesn't hold with things being pretty but useless.

The neighbour from across, who works for the plumber, tried to install the washing machine. Its hose is 2cm too short. Gah! He says he'll come back later and cut a hole in the sink unit to thread it through higher. I had to resort to dictionary for "cross-point screwdriver" and it isn't in there. Need my bigger dictionary. Madame came with him to say hello and if I want any household stuff to let her know because she works in a supermarket.

It's clear-sky sunshine, the birds are warbling loudly, and I shall be taking photos of the Round Table and chairs on the terrace later.

[UPDATE] Washing-machine plumbed in and ready to go. Mme the Fixer has given me a little knitted shoe with sweets in it, made for their daughter's baptism, because I missed it (well, it was before I arrived). Neighbour who keeps chickens came over to bring a present of eggs. I'm welling up!

No comments: